Episode 5 Going Bananas
Plant of the week The Banana
Native to Asia Genus Musa
Related to Birds of Paradise (Helliconia)
Hybridized to the point where they don't produce seeds and must be vegetatively propagated.
Fun Fact According to Wikipedia bananas are the largest flowering plant. In Japan the Japanese FiberBanana Musa bajoo are grown, the shoots and leaves cut down, boiled in lye and processed into fibers. See Here.
I have several bananas that were given to me as cuttings, or were purchased from Going Bananas in Homestead, FL.
Rose which is supposed to be 6-8 foot tall. (mine is two)
Dwarf Namwa a ladyfinger type of banana
Veinte Cohol a faster growing dessert banana
Gold Finger a type of Cavandash that is like the grocery Store
IceCream another smaller banana
Buddhas Hand the hands of the bananas are fused together and are supposed to taste very good.
Planting for self defense
How often have we quoted right plant/right place? What does that really mean? How often do we complain of rabbits and or deer eating our plants?
· There are no lists of plants that are universally deer/rabbit resistant around the country, because the little critters have different tastes.
· Sometimes, your locale Agricultural Extension Office will have a list for your area.
· Also, it is good to be open to new (or new to you) plants to trial
· When choosing plants, I always try to keep in mind to avoid plants that have insects or diseases named after the plant, such as azalea caterpillar, or oleander caterpillar.
· Another consideration is the site, is it dry or wet, shady or sunny?
· Matching the plants preferences to the site is much less stressful to the plant, and a plant that is less stressed is more able to withstand a disease or insect attack.
· What zone you are planting in is also a consideration.
· Even in a small area there can be a variation of microclimates.